TONI'S AMBLE THRU' LIFE

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The American shopping experience!

Having now almost virtually got over the jet lag, which has to be both welcomed and a goddamn relief, I can begin my thoughts on the USA.  Please try to remember that this is an entirely personal view, and where I should happen to mention something positive about the US this is not to be taken as a sign of advanced dementia, or its quickening onset.

I pride myself on being utterly open minded about any country I visit, therefore it naturally follows that the moment I board the plane all previous prejudices, bias and stupid thinking is put away.  Of course, once a previously held perception is proven to be the case, I become overwhelmed with a pompous delight in being proved to be right, which ultimately means I spend a lot of the time in self denial, sucking my thumb and generally refusing to remove my head from where the sun never shines.  Upon that particular note I'll continue, and in doing so I won't give a city by city account, but rather work along the lines of what I found good or bad.

First confession has to be that I'd never had any desire to visit the USA, it wasn't a place of much interest, which declined in my estimation when the UK began following the continually failing policies of an American system, socially, politically and economically.  These particular views reinforced by my own particular political leanings, which are somewhat left of centre in European terms, and most certainly way to the left in American terms.  I make no apologies for this, mostly due to my being a complete dinosaur when it comes to what I consider fair, just and acceptable.  But enough of the politics.

As I wrote in my blog, two entries ago, I was greeted at Boston Logan airport by a rather sympathetic immigration officer, which was my first surprise.  Whether the following view is right or wrong, the perception is that every American officer of the law is suspicious of everyone entering the country, who isn't American.  So the first myth was debunked, certainly every officer carries a gun, most wear a grim countenance and most you wouldn't want to get in an argument with, but my passage through was relatively easy and I was met with nothing but courtesy and a pleasant demeanour.  For the most part, during my stay, I was met with the same kind of attitude and those with nothing to gain, in a financial sense of the word, were friendly and interested in what you had to say personally.  However, that word 'buck' did on one particular occasion did leave a bad taste in my mouth, but more of that later.

To my very English sensibilities, something that's ingrained and hard to get rid of, the passing of pleasantries, when meeting someone, is often taken at face value and can serve to overcome that first encounter, often uncomfortable and due to a natural reserve, slightly apprehensive.  Yet you meet the American shop assistant, or checkout worker, and each and everyone asks how are you.  At the beginning I thought they were being nice, but I was quickly informed that this was normal and none were expecting any kind of answer, and would rather not have an answer.  This led to the impression that Americans are by and large a race of superficial characters, with absolutely no time and inclination towards anything remotely conversational.  I, being me, did no more than challenge this ridiculous attitude and replied, which was often greeted with much surprise and a complete sense of absolute loss of how to respond; particularly so in the middle age female sales assistant, when I replied to her 'how are you?' with 'all the better for seeing you my dear!'  On another occasion, whilst searching for a particular kind of jumper, I was immediately approached by this salesman, who clearly was under the impression that I was both a lost child and complete idiot.  This particular kind of 'customer service' rankles deeply with me and one I find very objectionable.  I replied to his earnest superficiality with a determined, but quietly stated, and I thought resounding 'no' when he asked if he could be of help; I've always been of the opinion that I'm perfectly capable of asking for help should I need it, but clearly there are some idiots born to be salesmen, and have no idea what the word 'no' means.  He reluctantly backed off, but a few moments later he then continued to follow me around the store, acting as though I was something akin to a trophy animal to stalk, hunt down, and finally shoot me dead.  Upon hearing his 'if I can be of any help' the second time, I lost my temper and very forcibly told him that 'should the CUSTOMER need his help I'd ask for it.'  I think he got the message as he sloped off with his tail between his legs.  But the stalking continued, as I left the store, I heard footsteps behind me, eventually with him asking a very impertinent 'excuse me' as he walked past me.  Sadly, such behaviour simply confirmed that the salesman is the worst kind of animal possible, and the American salesman the worst of the species.

In many ways, such behaviour does an enormous disservice to the vast majority of sales people, who are simply trying to do their job.  For those particular individuals, who in the main were courteous and helpful when asked, even if it eventually grated on my ears to hear the same scripted 'song', were simply trying to earn a living.  As a complete outsider, although the same practices exist in any part of the developed world, much could be done to improve customer services, and the start would be to let the 'customer be king'.  The question companies such as Sears, Macy's, J C Penney, should be asking is how to improve customer relations, not how to increase sales.  As a child, stores sold goods because the goods sold themselves, but the sales assistant rarely pushed.  Back then the 'customer was king', sadly that no longer applies, and both the sales assistant and individual is often left with an experience leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth.

This is but a brief account of the American shopping experience, and one that was more favourable was Internet shopping, a new concept to me.  Here the Americans have got it right, delivery takes place within the specified time, if dissatisfied with the goods sent they can be immediately returned and no questions are asked, returns are paid for by the company.  Personally, the ability to choose without pressure was a delight, although the vast array of stores made life difficult when it came to the matter of trust.  The matter of trust often depends on recommendations, and it was noticeable that many Internet stores often included poor reviews in addition to good ones, and final judgment could be based on an informed decision.  I have to thank my friend Stefan here for his recommendations, and what could have been a painful experience for me, a more enjoyable one.

Finally, despite my perceptions to the contrary I failed miserably to find items of clothing and shoes that I wanted, despite the vast array of shopping outlets there are.  I couldn't find a soft camera bag for my camcorder, I couldn't find a pair of Chelsea boots, and I couldn't find a fisherman's jumper.  And if Apple wishes to 'conquer' the world, breaking the dominance of windows and the pc market, my suggestion would be to vastly improve its product information, way before it decides to launch the latest technological wonder, the iPad.  Most companies would be in a far better position if they spent more time on getting the basics right, keeping the customer happy, rather than trying to be something where 'style will always matter over substance!'

No comments: