TONI'S AMBLE THRU' LIFE

Monday, March 29, 2010

I'm living the dream

Well I could crush a grape!  After 4 decades, it sounds so much better than 40 years, I've finally become a published author.  Yes, those long, far off days when I was still a child, scribbling away on scraps of toilet paper, inventing all kinds of weird and wonderful worlds, where I was so free and there was nothing but mythical goodness around me, I've finally got there!

At the moment I'm too tired to let this sink in and enjoy it for the triumphant moment it undoubtedly is.  As I discovered last night, where I didn't get to bed until 5am this morning, followed by 5 or 6 hours of disturbed sleep, the wait for publishing acceptance was full of nervous anticipation.  The only thing I can liken it too is awaiting the birth of my son Tony Jr, but even here that particular event seemed less stressful; perhaps that has something to do with being present at the birth and watching the whole process.

So there we are, I'm an author and whilst I accept that I'm unlikely to be as mighty as the great Hemingway, as a first published novel I'm happy with it.  Of course we now enter the world of reader reviews, critics and I dare say some comments which aren't complimentary, but I've done it!  And the one thing that can't be taken away is the fulfillment of a young child's dream against all the odds.

And now I've got the bit between the teeth, said the old nag on its way to the knackers yard, whilst I can still breath there's still life in the old dog, I just love idioms, and the next book is already being worked on and the final draft written. What I can say at this stage, is that the second novel is a comedy and much different to the first.

Thanks again to everyone who's congratulated me, I really do appreciate the kind words. Oh and as a final bit of good news within a few hours of being published the book had already begun to stimulate some interest.  If you are one of those individuals who has shown an interest, I thank you.

Now I'm off to some well earned rest, coffee and food!

No comments: