TONI'S AMBLE THRU' LIFE

Monday, November 2, 2009

Work, the law & a wonderful hug!

The first Monday morning I'm officially unemployed, I have to go back to my old workplace because my darling of a lawyer, in truth and being a gentleman at heart she's a magnificent friend, tells me late last night there was still a little doubt about the settlement I'd reached.  Thus, being no wiser about the joys of legal wrangles, legal loopholes, and worse of all legal language, I find myself arising out of bed at 6am, utterly brain dead, dragging my saggy bottom into the shower.

Why I mentioned my saggy bottom, I've no idea.  My guess is that I'm being utterly selfish, and because I've suffered for keeping my nose legally clean, then you can suffer along with me; the law above all is blind, just, and O so very fair.  Anyway, ignoring the Brothers Grimm moment of lucidity, eventually I arrive back at the former place of employment.  I'm not too proud to admit I was once a lackey, but now I'm a visitor, which in terms of psychology felt a little weird, or that might just be me.  You can argue amongst yourselves on that particular point.

Ringing the front doorbell, of the former company, which is either a completely different approach to getting inside the building, or that they don't let any riff raff in anymore without an excellent reason, I'm allowed to enter.  Entering into the main foyer the girls on reception are pleased to see me, one so delighted that she drops her headset and gives me a massive tight hug.  Getting to my age in life I'll bathe in the moment...

It was good to see a few old faces, commiserating with me, wishing I was back doing the job I thoroughly adore, teaching.  But this isn't possible given the state of the economy, although I did say that I'd go back if I was asked.  Some were surprised to see me, as they should be; no that was awful, I sound arrogant...not like me at all, after all being English I know my place, presently in the dole queue.

I saw the head of HR, who said that everything had finally been settled and he had been in touch with my lawyer, so I didn't have to return after all.  My lawyer, bless her, called me around 10 minutes later to tell me that everything had been settled.  This seems to be one of the joys of the whole thing, which put a smile on my face, the person who told me I was being let go assuring me that I was actually being let go, whilst my lawyer tells me after the event.  I know it sounds a little strange, this particular way of doing things, but she's been fantastic throughout the whole process and a wonderful friend.  The reason for the back to front jungle drums scenerio, is due to her making sure that I was protected, such care tends to make you feel a little humble.

With that in mind, it's not often that you find yourself being hugged by a number of beautiful women, missed by former male colleagues, and mollycoddled by an agent of the law.  Nor is it every day that you find that the words you write are being read in places such as California, New York, Ireland, Brussels, Canada, and the UK; another humbling, but exciting, feeling.  To everyone, friends who are supportive of my desire to write, the individuals who take the time out of their busy lives to read my thoughts, and my former colleagues, I thank each and everyone of you.

Sadly, or happily if you've fell to sleep by now, I have to get back to the real world and finish washing the pots.  Writing a blog is wonderful, it's called aversion therapy I believe, the downside it has to end at some point.

Bye for now, and keep smiling ;-)

No comments: